Driving home from Lynchburg on Saturday it didn't hit me that the school year was over. Going to graduation didn't make me feel it either. Perhaps because I was just watching, not participating.
When I pulled up to my house. I just sat there. I didn't want to get out. I felt it.
There's something about moving back home for the summer that just brought down the house.
I didn't want school to be over. I didn't want to be in my parents' huse. I wanted to be in my own.
After lugging the bags of clothes and a monstrous box of DVDs inside, the interrogation began. I had to answer a bajillion questions about my grades, my friend's after graduation plans, Jerry Falwell's death, etc.
I was going to take a shower, but Mom told me the shower was still broken and I'd have to take a bath instead of showering for the next ten days. Perfect. Just what I wanted to hear.
I'm trying to think of this summer as a learning experinece. I regret not getting an internship or a job at a news station, but honestly by the end of the semester I was so burnt out of writing--it was the last thing I wanted to do.
So I'm working a retail job. It might seem ill-planned, but honestly I just don't care. I plan for the future--I really do.
But my outlook on life has changed. I 've begun to realize that I'm the most idealistic person in my family, and it's hard. I have often entertained the notion that I was switched at birth at the hospital. But I'm glad I'm the way I am, it might blind me sometimes, but better to learn from it than learn nothing at all. This life is so short, and I feel its better now to take some chances then later down the road when I have more responsiblities.
So I have two major trips planned, a stack of books to read, two parents who deserve some attention, some old friends to meet and one relationship to repair.
My one fear is that I won't learn anything this summer. I'm not asking for grandiose epiphanies, but perhaps some valued insight.
I'm just saying it'd be nice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment