Thursday, February 23, 2006

"I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready,"--

-quoted by the wise sage, Spongebob Squarepants. I feel that sums it up. I think I'm ready. Ready for a lot of things. A lot of changes. A lot of things I've never included in the great big experiment I like to call my life.
I have come to a point in my life where I have begun to realize that my life is like a book. And I've been stuck in the same chapter of this book for the past two and a half years. I haven't changed, or rather I felt like I haven't. I tend to emulate instead of change. But change is what I need. The page needs to turn, and the new chapter begin.
But beginning a new chapter in the book of life can be like learning where the soup aisle is or learning to ride a bike all over again. Easy or hard. College does this to you. It twists you and bends you to see how you'll respond. You'll either break the mold and creat something or spring back to the way you were. It all comes down to choice.
Choice. Teenagers today are drilled with the word choice. Make good choices, the choices today will reflect your future, and the choice you blah, bla-blah, bla-blah.
I get it. Only I can change my life. Only I can turn the page. But the hardest thing of all, is realizing it needs to happen. This all may sound like cryptic heiroglyphs, but it should make sense to that twentysomething struggling with the questions: Who do I want to be? Where am I going next?
Be honest with yourself, life can be scary. I, myself, am edging out of college. Teetering on the doorstep of the real world. Pretty soon, I'll be doing grown-up things like cleaning a gutter or buying my own Q-tips. Have you ever thought that when you grow up you have to buy your own Q-tips? I didn't think so.
At the beginning, you probably thought I'd have a solution or a famously hot tip. True story: I got nothin'. Except this. This is good: do it. Take chances(in a reasonable means. Don't eat tree bark.) Experience and learn. The only way you can change, is to change and grow, make mistakes and learn.
What's that? I'm wise? Thank you.
Huh? Practice what I preach? I know, I'm working on that. I promise

1 comment:

Halley said...

If you wrote a column for the paper, or for a magazine I would be your biggest reader, your #1 fan. Do it, because I love to read your stuff. It makes me miss you, and I do miss you. I have an easter card for you, it's still sitting on my desk (or the stack of shit I like to call my desk) and it is lacking a stamp. HOWEVER, today it WILL be stamped and taken by the post man and placed in your lovely little hands. I love, please visit. School is stressing me out and it is making me want fun Stephen time (come on, we can make rice crispie treats.) Love for my love.